baking powder/baking soda and other differences

"Ivana Bjelac" <ivana.bjelac@zg.hinet.hr>
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 10:43:13 +0100
v102.n008.8
Dear all,

For some of you who have not read my intro posted a looong time ago, I am
Ivana, freelance translator, mother to son Marko. I am also adopted by
Luhn, Gandalf and Rea - the wolfdogs.

Now my question(s):
I live in Zagreb- Croatia-Europe, and very often have problems using
recipes from the USA people.
First problem is measuring.
Here in Europe we are measuring in grams, kilograms, liters and deciliters.
It is not a problem to convert those to the US measures.
I am using measuring cup and spoons from the USA.
But if you say e.g. 'one cup of cottage cheese' and I put this cottage
cheese into the US measuring cup, depending on the condition of the
cheese  (creamy/clotty), the quantity may vary greatly.The same goes for
e.g. 'mashed potato'.  Does this one cup mean I push the cheese into the
cup to remove all air pockets?  There are other ingredients that are
causing the same problem: dred fruit , cubed vegetables (small
pieces=larger quantity) etc.

The second question is about some ingrediens:
In Pumpkin scones recipe Reggie says:

 > 1/2 tsp baking soda
 > 2 tsp baking powder

In our Middle European cooking we are using both ingredients, but not
together in the same recipe.  But perhaps I did not understand well what
actually those two are. Can somene, good at chemistry/technology, try to
explain what are those two (a formula might help).  Could the baking powder
be used instead of baking soda and vice versa (i.e. 2 1/2 tsp of ----- )?

Thanks.

Ivana

--
     ** Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.**
Tel/Fax: 385 1 3392-689                     ivana.bjelac@zg.hinet.hr