Re: Digest bread-bakers.v102.n009

"Ed Dalton" <edsniche@snet.net>
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 14:05:17 -0500
v102.n010.11
 >>Greg Carpenter wrote:
"No matter what you begin with, your sourdough starter will eventually
evolve based on what you feed it, not what you started with."<<

This would make Ed Woods Sourdoughs all the same after awhile, so there can
be no starter dating back more than what- a month, two months, a year? Carl
Griffith's 1847 Oregon Trail Sourdough then would be what now?  I think
your theory is a tad off.  BTW, I have a grape starter that I have
maintained since before Bread's from the La Brea Bakery was published
around 6 years ago but based on the procedure and it has retained is unique
quailities.  I also have Carl's which is unique to the grape starter.  I
will from time to time do starters from scratch and each is different from
the grape and Carl's.  You have overlooked the symbiotic relationship that
develops between yeast and the bacteria, one complementing the other and
excluding other flora that might try to invade the happy home.

Ed