Starter question from Bread Bakers Digest

Ellen Lee <leep@mkl.com>
Fri, 1 Jan 1904 01:45:17 -0500
v102.n011.10
Gene, I am no expert, but I think you could try feeding the piece of dough
with 1/2 cup warm water and one cup all-purpose flour and see if the
mixture bubbles and expands. Then take out a cup of the resulting mixture
and feed it again. Give it a long proofing time at room temperature. I
think that if you cannot achieve true sourdough, you will have at least the
biga for beginning a chain of good Italian bread.

Where is Bob the Tarheel Baker when we need him? I miss his postings!

Ellen Lee