Black Pepper Bread

"Helen & Peter Frati" <frati183@blazenetme.net>
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 08:13:27 -0400
v102.n018.15
I received two recipes for Black Pepper Bread, this one is from
Jazzbel.  She got it from Food Network.

Black Pepper Bread

2 cups plus 2 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons butcher's grind cracked black pepper
One  1/4 ounce package active dry yeast
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon fine salt
vegetable oil, as needed

In a small saucepan, combine the milk, butter, sugar, and pepper. Place
over medium-high heat and bring to about 110 F.  Remove from the heat and
sprinkle the yeast over the surface of the milk.  Set aside until foamy,
about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.

Pour the milk and yeast mixture into the bowl of flour and mix until a
soft, ragged mixture is formed.  Transfer the mixture to a well-floured
work surface and knead until a soft elastic dough is formed, about 10
minutes. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a kitchen
towel, and place in a warm spot, until puffed and doubled in size, about 2
hours.

Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 F.  Transfer the
dough to the work surface and, using your hands, gently flatten it into a
10-inch-long oval shape.  Fold the dough into thirds lengthwise overlapping
the sides in the center. Press down on the overlapping sides to seal and
make a seam.  Place it seam side-down in a buttered 9 by 5-inch loaf pan,
cover with a kitchen towel, and return to the warmest part of the kitchen
until the dough has risen  about 1 1/2 inches over the top of the pan,
about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Brush the top of the dough lightly with warm water and, using a sharp
knife, make 1/4-inch-deep slit down the center.  Bake until golden brown,
about 30 minutes.

Remove the loaf from the pan and place in the center of the rack.  Continue
baking until the loaf sounds hollow when rapt lightly with your knuckles on
the bottom and top, and a thermometer inserted in the center reads 200 F.,
about 15 minutes.

Transfer the bread loaf to a cooling rack and let cool for 2 hours before
using.

I think heating the black pepper with the milk and butter infuses the
flavor of the pepper, I think next time I will use more black pepper.  :)

Thanks again, Jazzbel.

Helen Frati

Have another recipe that Sandy Greathouse sent and after I make it will
send it.
I really enjoy all the information, debates, and stories.