KitchenAid/Bread Machine/Other mixers

"Jazzbel" <jazzbel@speedwayinternet.com>
Sun, 5 May 2002 10:02:12 -0400
v102.n019.7
 > From: Susan Thomas <susanth@pacinfo.com>

 > I can't resist responding to someone's question about whether kneading by
 > hand is better than making bread in a machine. . . .

depends on their preference. You are right, too, you can make make bread
without a machine, even large quantities.

 > Anyway, have fun with it!  It's great therapy, very creative, and the end
 > result is SO much better than what you buy in a grocery. :o)

like married love.  The first loaves you bake are not the best you will ever
make, but they are better than anything you ever bought".

 > From: "vicki & john" <j.ireland@attbi.com>
 > Subject: Dead Bread Machine

 > I'm thinking of just buying one of those Kitchen Aid mixers.  If anybody's
 > used those with great success in bread making, I'd love to hear about it.

to buy it mostly for making bread, don't.

Bread machines are much cheaper, and more versatile when it comes to bread
making.  You have both a dough and bake option.

The capacity of larger bread machines is similar to that of the larger
kitchenAid.  Even the professional model only handles a maximum of 8 cups
of flour.  They break down with heavy stuff sometimes.

The kitchen Aid is very good for cakes, small quantities of american butter
cream icing, a decent amount of italian or swiss meringue butter cream.

The only breads I use my kitchen aid for are batter breads: naan, sally
lunn, brazilian pao de queijo.

If you are interested in a machine to make multiple loaves of bread, which
can handle cakes and buttercreams as well, try the electrolux Magic Mill
Assistent.  It kneads up to six loaves of bread, or 14 small cake layers.
It does not break down like the kitchen aid.  The design is different, the
bowl moves aroun the hook, so the hook does not bear the weight of the
dough.  It is a little pricier, abotu $500 with the doughnhook.

Disclaimer: I speak from experience, I have all machines above, including
the broken kitchenaid, and I don't sell this stuff.

Later,
Jazzbel