Home Bread-Bakers v102.n022.1

Fresh yeast... with grey green mold?

"DPK" <dpkenny@earthlink.net>
Mon, 20 May 2002 07:35:26 -0500
My Aunt purchased some fresh yeast, wanting to examine any difference in 
flavor, texture of resultant bread.  She meant to use it promptly, but 
didn't get back to it for a few days.  When she did, it had a grey green 
mold on the yeast.

She scraped that off, and used the yeast anyway.

The question is:  would that grey green mold have done something bizarre to 
the bread had she left it on the fresh yeast, and just combined it all in?

We're trying to figure out if we just threw away something valuable and 
unique... or conversely... if your fresh yeast gets this mold on it, should 
the yeast be discarded entirely?

So far... no one is sick.  ;)

Thanks in advance,