Re: Sourdough whole wheat bread

Alan Woods <woods.1@osu.edu>
Mon, 20 May 2002 11:35:44 -0400
v102.n022.3
I've  baked only sourdough for about 5 years now, and almost always whole
grains -- usually entirely whole wheat (most often the King Arthur hard ww,
occasionally their 'white' ww, sometimes other brands).  I add a tablespoon
of gluten per cup to help with the rising, but otherwise the porportions --
for me, it's roughly 3 cups of flour per loaf -- remaind the same.  My
sourdough starter is fed only with white (unbleached) flour -- it was
originally the KA "New England," but since it's been in Ohio for six years,
it's pretty much a midwestern starter now.

As for nuts:  I often toss in a handful of sunflower seeds, flax seeds,
hempseeds, whatever is to hand.  Perhaps a half cup or so of seeds/nuts per
loaf.  Other than adding the gluten, I don't worry about adjusting the
recipe.  The dough rises just fine, taking shorter or longer depending on
weather and humidity.  In the winter it'll take a couple of days for the
various risings, in the summer, only a few hours.

So:  I'd suggest just experimenting, and seeing what works best for you,
and for whoever joins you in eating the bread, and the degree to which you
like solid or light loaves--

Alan Woods