Re: Sourdough whole wheat bread

"Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Mon, 20 May 2002 21:06:15 -0600
v102.n022.10
On 12 May 2002, Carolyn <drsnooks@buffnet.net>
sagely commented:

 > How much whole wheat flour can be used in sourdough that
 > requires 7 cups of white flour for three loaves of bread??

Well, in most mixed breads, you can go about 50/50 without having special
problems.  However, the idea that you need white flour or need to add
gluten to get a light whole-wheat or a whole-wheat sourdough bread is a
misnomer.  I modified Laurel Robertson's "A loaf for learning" from her
"Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book" to use Sourdough.  If you haven't read the
book, and you want to make whole grain breads, it's one of two books I
recommend highly.  The other one is Beatrice Ojakangas' "Great Whole Wheat
Breads".  If you want to see what I did on the sourdough version, look at

http://www.sourdoughhome.com/100percentwholewheat.html

and then at

http://www.sourdoughhome.com/laurelsloaf.html

Mike