Re: Potato Flakes for Flour?

"Don Bischoff" <taktez@earthlink.net>
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 19:18:47 -0500
v102.n024.2
Maija wrote:
 > I've read that using potato flour increases moisture and shelf
 > life in yeast breads.  Is it possible to substitute mashed potato
 > flakes for the same purpose?

Maija,

Absolutely!!  I do it all the time.  Use about 1/2 cup of potato flakes per
three cups of flour.  You can also use leftover mashed potatoes 1/2 cup per
three cups of flour.  This will definitely add to the moisture and shelf
life of bread.  Potato flour, by the way, is nothing more than ground
dehydrated potatoes.  The only thing you have to beware of is that when
making these additions you will have to adjust the total amount of liquid
in the recipe.  Since mashed potatoes already contain moisture you must
reduce the liquid.  Potato flakes absorb moisture and you will need to
increase the liquid.  Give it a try.

Happy baking.

Don B