KA Mixers: New Vs. Old

"Frederick J. Krall" <fkrall@att.net>
Mon, 03 Jun 2002 07:56:40 -0400
v102.n024.6
We've had a K5A since 1975, when I gave it to my wife.  I've been using it
to bake bread regularly ever since.  It's only required routine
(preventive) maintenance, and it has never failed me.

I've been confused by concerns about KAs breaking down, until I learned
recently that Whirlpool bought the brand from Hobart in, I believe, 1986.
My assumption is that Whirlpool's lessened the build quality that Hobart
put into their essentially foodservice machines.  That might explain any
quality differences people are experiencing today.

That being said, I do lust after a Magic Mill dlx, which I understand is
better for yeast breads (larger capacity, more power) but not as good for
other things.  Expensive, but so was the K5A 27 years ago!

Rick Krall