Re: Oatmeal Bourbon Bread from: Oh so long ago.....

Ben_McGehee@asburyseminary.edu (Ben McGehee)
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 09:00:55 -0400
v102.n026.7
Helen Frati writes:
 >I do not own a bread machine.  Can these
 >recipes be made by conventional methods?

Sure. You can always simulate the methods of a bread machine. Just put all
the ingredients into a bowl, mix, knead, let rise until doubled, then shape
into a loaf. Let this rise until doubled, and bake. The baking temperature
depends on what is in the bread. The more sugar (including milk or other
forms), the lower the temperature. I would try them at 350 or 375 F. If
they have little or no sugar (I doubt that), then try 425 or 450 F. I
usually go for the higher temperatures, but my wife always complains that I
burn the bread (I don't see it that way - I prefer to use the term deeply
baked).

You may have to adjust the amount of ingredients, but that's true for any
recipe. You could also play with the timing of adding ingredients such as
garlic, so that the gluten sets up better. If they work well, post it back
here with your instructions for modification for conventional methods.

Ben McGehee