Re: lebkuchen

"Anita" <anita@ncwebsurfer.com>
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 11:22:25 -0700
v102.n026.13
Hello Rick:  This recipe was brought to America from Germany by my mother
in the mid 1920's.  I have made them every year since I was a small child
and they are, truly the "essence" of the holiday season.  If the cookies
you are after were small balls, they are most likely Pfeffernussen (pepper
nuts). Let me know, I have that and many other of her recipes.  You might
also check with the fabulous "smart cookie" Rose Levy Beirnbaum, whose name
we see gracing these pages.  I can't wait for her bread book.

Sincerely,   Anita Flanigan,   No. California

                      *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                                 lebkuchen

Recipe By     : mom
Categories    : Cookies                          Family Customs

    4                    eggs
      1/2  pound         brown sugar
      3/4  pound         almonds -- coarsely chopped
      1/4  pound         citron -- coarsely chopped
      1/8  pound         candied orange peel -- coarsely chopped
      3/4  teaspoon      cinnamon
      1/4  teaspoon      cloves
      1/2  teaspoon      mace
    1 1/2  teaspoons     cardamom
    1 1/2  teaspoons     salt
    1                    lemon -- grated peel
    1                    orange -- grated peel
    2      cups          honey
    5      cups          flour
    2      cups          graham flour
    1 1/2  teaspoons     baking soda -- mix into last cup of
                          -- flour

beat eggs, add brown sugar and beat well.  add honey and beat.  mix dry ing
except for 1 cup flour. add fruits  nuts and grated peel.  incorporate into
egg mixture.  add last cup of flour into which you have added the baking
soda.  dough will be stiff and sticky.  cover with wax paper and put into a
cool place for at least 12 hours to ripen. bake at 350 F for 15 minutes,
rotating pans half way through the cooking time. glaze with powdered sugar,
milk and vanilla mixture while hot.  these cookies improve with age and are
usually the first baked at christmastime.

NOTES : 1 1/2 lb of honey = 2 cups
1 lb brown sugar = 2 2/3 cups.