PEPPARKAKOR

"Caroline Anderson" <canderson@abswebb.net>
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 02:35:43 -0500
v102.n032.8
A couple weeks back a think someone asked for this recipe. I found it going
thru some things. It was on a card that was given out for snacks at the BIG
CEDAR LODGE in Branson Missouri a few years back. I did finally try them
and since I don't care for pepper much, these were not something I'd cared
for. I hope this is what the person was talking about. I copied the card
off as it was written below the recipe.

(GINGERSNAPS) PEPPARKAKOR

2/3 cup light brown sugar

2/3 cup light molasses

2 tsp Ground ginger

1 tsp Ground cinnamon

1 tsp Ground cardamom

1/2 tsp ground cloves

12 Tbsp Butter, cut up

2 eggs

5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (approx.)

1/2 tsp baking soda

Combine brown sugar, molasses and spices in 1 1/2 quart saucepan. Heat to
boiling over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute, then
remove from heat.

Place butter in large mixing bowl, add hot sugar mixture and stir until
butter melts. Blend in eggs.

Stir 2 cups flour and the baking soda together. Gradually mix into the
butter mixture. Mix in enough additional flour to make dough stiff. Shape
dough into ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate several hours or
overnight.

Cut dough into quarters. Shape one quarter at a time into balls
(refrigerate other dough). Use rounded tsp ful of dough for each ball.
Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake in preheated 350 F Oven until light
brown, 10 to 12 min Cool on wire racks. Store in airtight container.

Makes 7 dozen BIG CEDAR LODGE

The Wish Cookie: an Old Swedish custom.

Place a Swedish Pepparkakor in the palm of your hand. Then, make a wish.
Using the index finger of you free hand, tap the cookie in the middle.
Swedish tradition states that is the Pepparkakor breaks into three pieces
your wish will come true. If the Pepparkakor does not break into three
pieces you'll just have to savor the cookie in smaller potions.

Eating Pepparkakor can make you a nicer person. As early as the 19th
century, it was already common knowledge in Sweden that eating Pepparkakor
makes you a nicer person. Exactly why this is so is not known. Gastronomes
(lovers of fine food) surmise that is has to do with the natural spices and
fiber in the cookie. Which aid in the digestive process by reducing acid in
the stomach. Others, less scientific but perhaps equally as credible,
suggest that keeping a person's mouth occupied by savoring the taste of
Pepparkakor leaves little room for idle conversation and adds to the peace
and quiet Swedes are known to cherish. This certainly would seem to make
some people nicer to be around.

It's anybody's guess. However, regardless of the reason, you'll feel
better. And people who feel better are nicer people. We hope you enjoy the
cookie as much as we enjoy your company.

BIG CEDAR LODGE  (417) 335-2777