Re: overnight rise

"Ben McGehee" <Ben_McGehee@asburyseminary.edu>
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 09:28:02 -0400
v102.n033.2
Lobo writes:

 >I didn't make the overnight one ... it seemed silly to me.  Does anyone
 >know what the point is?  Have you tested such a recipe, and is it any
 >better than a recipe you can complete in one morning or evening?

Don't call something silly if you've never tried it. I much prefer longer
rising times for my breads, buns, etc. The longer rising times brings out
more flavors in the dough because the bacteria have a longer time to work.
This recipe is a little different, though, since it calls for an overnight
rise at room temperature with (a lot of) regular yeast. I would think that
the yeast would rise and then deflate in that time. I have only let
sourdough rise overnight, and even then I usually have to be careful. I
typically let my buns rise for an hour or two and then put them in the
fridge overnight to let the flavors develop. I can tell a huge difference
in those and the ones that are made the same day. I'd suggest you try it
and just see if you like it - you may discover that it's not worth the
trouble, but for me, it would be.

Ben McGehee