Unglazed Tiles vs. Standard Baking Stones

"Becky" <chatham6@cds1.net>
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:28:04 -0700
v102.n033.10
I have been a member for several months, and have always enjoyed reading
the digests, but this is the first time I've posted.  I figured that I
would ask the experts on this list for the info that I need - I'm always
amazed at the wealth of knowledge you all have!

I have finally made an excellent pizza in my home oven by preheating my
Pampered Chef baking stone on the bottom rack (about 2" above the floor) at
550 F for 30 minutes.  I transferred the pizza to the stone with a pizza
peel dusted with semolina, and in 5 minutes we had awesome pizza :-)

Now that I think I have the technique down, I'm looking to expand a little,
and I'm wondering what the best way to do that is.  I can buy another
rectangular stone and put them side by side in the oven, but I was
wondering about unglazed tiles.  I know there must be more than one person
out there who uses them, but I'm a little leery about lead in the clay and
so forth. Is there a source out there for food-grade bricks or tiles?  Or
is there some way to determine the lead content of tiles that are purchased
from the local tile store?  I'm thinking that if I can get the right size
ones, I can just leave them on the bottom rack all the time - anybody ever
run into any problems doing this?  I would think that it would be fine, and
in fact might help retain heat.

Any help, hints or tips would be appreciated - TIA

Becky
Windsor, CA