Re: Frustrated

"Frederick J. Krall" <fkrall@att.net>
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 08:25:42 -0400
v102.n036.18
Harold,

If you're a beginning baker, I believe The BBA is a bit advanced for you.

I might suggest a more basic book.  I learned from Beard On Bread, which
has straightforward recipes.  The first one, in particular, takes you
through a basic white bread step-by-step, including damage
control.  Bernard Clayton's Complete Book of Breads is another one.  I'm
sure there are many.

As for instant yeast, it's usually used by commercial bakers and is not
available at retail, as far as I know.  I purchase mine (I prefer SAF
Instant) from The King Arthur Catalog, which we receive monthly by mail (or
online at kingarthur.com).  Store it in the freezer in an airtight jar, and
it'll last at least a year.

But to learn, and confirm you want to keep learning, I'd buy
supermarket-style dry yeast and give it a go!  My philosophy is KISS (Keep
It Simple Stupid), especially when learning new things!

Have fun!

Rick Krall