Re: Baking on unglazed tiles--no grease necessary

Brown_D@pcfnotes1.wustl.edu
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:28:04 -0500
v102.n046.9
For hearth loaves, I usually place them on some semolina flour to rise, and
may sprinkle a little on the tiles before tossing in the bread--no
sticking.  I also am generous with flouring pita-type loaves or crackers
that don't work so well with the semolina trick. Usually this is all it
takes; the dough may seem sticky when it goes in, and if a soft pizza lands
lumpy on the tiles, it's hard to straighten it out, but it usually comes
off freely once baked to where the bottom crust is dry.  The only times I
have problems are with leaky fillings or toppings spilling over (fruit and
cheese make a nasty mess on the bricks).  If I'm baking a really soft, thin
dough and want it to go in smooth, I will put it on a baking sheet then on
to the bricks, and halfway though baking, it's usually firm enough to then
put directly on the bricks to finish baking and drying the bottom crust.

Diane Brown