Horse Treats

judiec@comcast.net
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 20:02:20 -0400
v102.n046.14
No need for your daughter to lose the notion that you can bake anything!
Here's one recipe for horse treats that might work for you.  I have heard
of a few different ones, so I'm sure a search on google.com would give you
more choices.

Apple Horse Cookies

1 c. sweet feed such as Omolene®, Country Horse, Wet C.O.B. (molasses mixed
with corn, oats, barley) etc.
2 - 3 c. wheat bran
1 c. flax seed
1 T. salt
4 large apples, shredded
1 c. molasses
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 c. applesauce

Mix molasses, brown sugar, apples and applesauce in bowl. Mix dry
ingredients in a separate bowl. Gradually combine wet and dry ingredients
together, only using enough of the wet ingredients to make a thick dough.
Add more bran if necessary.

Line cookie sheet with foil and spray with oil. Drop batter onto cookie
sheet in tablespoon amounts. Flatten with a fork. Bake slowly at 300° F.
for 1 hour, turn cookies over and continue to bake for another 45 minutes
until thoroughly dried. Reduce heat if cookies begin to brown excessively
or to burn.

Store in covered container or zip-locked plastic bag and dole out as
special treats to your equine buddies.

Good Luck!
Judie Caroleo