Diastatic or non-diastatic barley malt

jarnopol@Interaccess.com
Sat, 09 Nov 2002 08:12:10 -0600
v102.n053.3
Steven Leof" <leof@compuserve.com> writes:
Marcy Goldman writes on 23 June that for the home baker it makes no
difference whether diastatic or non-diastatic barley malt is used. This
implies that for the professional baker there is a difference; what might
that be? I am looking not for flavour but for colour enhancement in my
breads...

Neither diastatic nor non-diastatic malt impart much colour to
breads.  Diastatic is used for leavening and flavour.  Non-diastatic for
flavour alone.

If you're looking for colour, for instance in rye or pumpernickle breads,
I'd search out Baker's Caramel.  When added to dark rye and/or pumpernickle
flour, it gives you the deep rich brown colour I think you might be looking
for.  King Arthur's Flour Catalog carries a very good brand, item #1438 -
2.5 ounces for $3.95 US, that I've been quite satisfied with.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
jan

Jan Arnopolin