what is a Japanese style white bread?

Sun, 17 Nov 2002 22:56:57 -0800
v102.n054.19
I heard the term "Japanese-style white breads" recently.  What is
this??  Does anyone have a recipe for it/them??

While you are typing in the response to me how about baking and eating a
wonderful Bannock ... and save a piece for Jeff and me <G>

                       *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                                   Bannock

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 12   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List        Canadian
                  Diabetic                         Ethnic
                  Low Fat                          Hand Made

     2 1/2   C            Flour
       1/4  Tsp           Salt
     2      Tbsp          Oil
     1       C            Milk
     1                    Egg
     2      Tsp           Baking powder

Mix flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl.  Mix together milk, egg and
oil and add to flour.  Mix well.  Knead on a floured surface. Pat down the
dough until it is about 1 inch thick.  Cut into 12 equal pieces.

Bake at 400F until brown, approx 15 min OR heat a frying pan, using 3 tbsp
oil to cook the pieces.  Serve hot with jam.

1 bannock baked:
3 g protein, 3 g fat, 17 g carbohydrate, 107 calories 1 starch choice, 1 fat

1 bannock fried:
3 g protein, 8 g fat, 17 g carbohydrate, 152 calories

Source:  Diabetes Dialogue Spring 1992, Canadian Diabetes Association
Shared and baked version tested by Elizabeth Rodier July 1993

Thanks,
Reggie