Re: Grain Mills--my 2cents on the Kitchen Mill

Brown_D@pcfnotes1.wustl.edu
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 19:15:22 -0600
v102.n056.6
Peach_Rx <peach_rx@earthlink.net> wrote:
 > Next major purchase is a grain mill.  The bosch has a stone
 > attachment, and a steel attachment.  Has anyone tried these,
 > or is it better to go with  another stand alone brand?

I have a Kitchen Mill, an electric grain mill that has served me very well
(now made by K-TEC) (see
http://www.aaoobfoods.com/graingrinders.htm#Kitchen%20Mill for an example).
I have had the same one for almost 20 years and it has required servicing
only once in that time.  It makes fine to very fine flours--on "coarse" it
is still fine compared to a coarse stone-ground flour.  It will grind any
grain, or mix of grains, and I love to add whole spices to the grain so
they get freshly millled and mixed into the flour for flavored breads,
cakes, cookies, etc.  It is noisy as all get-out--I think of it as my "baby
jet plane" because it sounds like a jet turbine--and only run it between
about 9am and 9pm to avoid problems with the neighbors (I live in an
apartment).  But a pair of earplugs (for me and a spare pair for any
helpers/visitors) and I'm happy as a clam milling 500gm wheat in about 3-4
minutes to something so fine that even whole-wheat-a-phobes don't know I'm
using it for cakes/cookies/pastries....  It is easy to clean (I just brush
out the collection chamber and the milling blades).

I briefly owned a smaller electric mill that was not quite as noisy, and
was much smaller, but it made such coarse flour that I would not use it for
much of anything.  I can't remember the brand name but it was not a Bosch.

Diane Brown
brown_d@kids.wustl.edu