New bread book and request

Sat, 21 Dec 2002 12:22:43 -0800
v102.n058.10
I just bought a large new bread cookbook.  It is _The Complete Book of
Bread & Bread Machines_ by Christine Ingram and Jennie Shapter.  It is a
compilation of two books and it is absolutely wonderful.  There are over
250 recipes for breads made both by hand and in a bread machine.  It also
has a comprehensive reference section that features traditional breads from
all around the world.  The book contains five parts: Part One: Breads of
the World, Part Two: Traditional Bread making, Part Three: Bread Recipes of
the World, Part Four: Using a Bread Machine, Part Five: Recipes Using a
Bread Machine.  There are incredibly delicious looking pictures and
illustrations throughout the book with step-by-step techniques.

There were a few descriptions of breads that had no recipe that I could
locate.  I am going to put a few into this note in hopes of some of you
having recipes for the breads.  I would love to make some of these.

Dutch Bread
Frisian Sugar Loaf - unusual sweet bread made using whole sugar lumps that
melt as the bread is baked to give delicious pockets of sweetness, which
contrast with the cinnamon in the soft white crumb.

I think this would be a special holiday gift bread.

Caribbean & Mexican Breads
Bulla Buns - spicy, round discs that resemble muffins in appearance but are
dense, dark and spicy.  Flavored with allspice and rich with raisins and
molasses.

Imagine some of these for breakfast on a lazy, laid back morning.

Australian Breads
Il Gianfornaio - a colorful and unusual vegetable bread.  It is brightly
colored - a mosaic of red, green, yellow and orange doughs.  Each is
flavored with a different colored vegetable and shaped into a large spiral.

This would be a different way to get vegetables into your children or
yourself (eating on the run many days doesn't allow for getting all your
veggies for the day).  Or it would be a fantastic bread to serve to
guests.  Watch the surprise on their faces when this is presented with the
meal.

Chinese Bread
Spring Onion Bread (Chung Yan Beng) - from Hong Kong, an extraordinary
pan-fried bread, made uniquely using hot roux (a cooked flour and butter
paste) worked into a similar dough made with cold water.  A complicated
process involving spreading each piece of dough with a hot oil and flour
roux and then finally rolling it up with spring onions (scallions).  These
ring-shaped breads are fried in oil and have a delicious crisp outside
while inside you bite into the layers of soft dough around the spring onions.

Not like anything I have ever encountered in any Chinese restaurant.

Scandinavian Bread
Scandinavian Star Bread - an unusual and pretty bread uses a blend of white
and whole wheat flour but the excellent flavor mainly is due to the sponge
method of making the dough.  It allows the flavors to develop in the
longer-than-usual rising.  Sunflower seeds and linseeds are added for
flavor and the bread is liberally sprinkled with sesame seeds.  It is
stamped into a star shape for pulling apart for easy eating.  Has a good
crisp crust, and the crumb is soft with a rich nutty flavor.

This sounds like it would have such an unusual texture and flavor that I
would love to make it.

German Bread
Landbrot - a traditional country bread made using a large proportion of
wheat flour but with enough rye to give a pale, beige-colored
crumb.  Excellent sweet/sour flavor.  Uses buttermilk instead of milk or
water.  Inside it is open textured and slightly chewy.  Would be good with
soups and stews.

This would be fantastic on a cold rainy winter evening.  Very comforting.

Portuguese Bread
Papo Secos - small white rolls popular breakfast bread in Portugal.  Soft
white crumb and delicious crust that is crisp without being hard.  Baked
with lots of steam that accounts for a good crust yet ensures the crumb is
light and airy.

Again, I would love to make these.  A soft crumb without a hard crust but
still a crisp crust is a great combination I think.

Any help with any/ all of these recipes is greatly appreciated.  They all
sound incredibly appetizing to both Jeff and myself.

Reggie