Re: Jewish Corn Bread

"Mark Judman" <Mark_Judman@COLPAL.COM>
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 10:13:01 -0500
v102.n059.12
Kathy was asking what is it? regarding so-called "Jewish Corn Bread."  I've
always heard it referred to as "corn rye" growing up in NYC and guess what,
there's no corn or cornmeal in it, except possibly on it's underside, as
may be the case for many hearth-baked breads.

As I recall from various books and articles, take a look, for example, at
George Greenstein's "Secrets of a Jewish Baker....", "corn" is a
translation of "kern" which I believe refers to grain.  Also, I believe
"corn" itself only necessarily refers to maize, that stuff you eat off the
cob with butter, in the USA.

What your husband is pining for, I think, is basically a good NYC or Jewish
or deli rye bread.

Mark Judman