Memories.....

ehgf@mindspring.com
Mon, 06 Jan 2003 09:29:28 +0800
v103.n002.13
Hi All,

Growing up in Brooklyn, NY, "Lord's Bakery" was famous for their "corn
(rye) bread". It was located next to a bus stop and I have vivid memories
of my mother buying a hot loaf which we both started eating (the "heels",
the best part, of course) on the way home. The smell would fill the bus and
the jealous passengers would stare longingly at us. I actually didn't know
there was any other kind of corn bread (southern) until I was much older. I
have made George Greenstein's and "Better Than Store Bought" versions. I
think that the latter recipe is closer to the mark. Of course, this bread
tastes so much better on a bus in a crazy, noisy, dirty, wonderful city....:-)

I made the Frisian Sugar Loaf (Bernard Clayton's) years ago. It was truly
wonderful. The sugar cubes that had been broken and tossed with cinnamon
created small pockets of heavenly "goo" in each slice. Not messy, however,
just a lovely accent to the crumb. It is my favorite cinnamon type bread
and I highly recommend it.

Happy New Years to you All,

Ellen aka Gormay

PS I second Bob's thank you to Reggie and Jeff whose hard work and devotion
enable the rest of us to recall lovely memories and create new ones......