Re: German Breads

"Anita" <anita@ncwebsurfer.com>
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 20:30:14 -0800
v103.n007.21
Sandy in Maryland asked for some bread ideas for her sisters exchange
student from Germany.

The "little breads" eaten at breakfast are probably nice crispy crusted
hard rolls.  They were served all over southern Europe when we
visited.  Also Kaiser rolls and something like St Francis Rolls  as they
were called in San Francisco in the 40's.  That is just a hard roll made
with bread flour and water, maybe a beaten egg white.

The black bread could be a version of the Fuenfkornbrot which was posted
not too long ago.  It also has sunflower seeds.  I too miss that and am
only second generation German.  Gets to you, those good flavors. The black
bread is usually a sourdough.

Hope this helps,
Anita from Northern California