Re: Salton Breadman

Thomas Sawyer <jntsawyer@earthlink.net>
Sat, 08 Feb 2003 09:47:23 -0500
v103.n009.5
On 2/8/03 3:36 AM, in bread-bakers.v103.n007.23,
"Koller" <kollers@earthlink.net> wrote:

 > Salton's
 > solution on the last call? Since the machine is out of the one-year
 > warranty, I can send it back (at my expense) with a check for $50 and they
 > will send me a new machine. I don't think so!! Has anyone else ever
 > encountered this problem? I will only use it now to knead bread doughs and
 > then finish them off by hand but haven't had too much luck getting the
 > bread to turn out as we have become accustomed to it. Any help or info
 > would be appreciated!

I would not get another Salton Breadman.  My daughter had not the same
problem, but problems nevertheless--the bread wouldn't rise properly and
only baked a short loaf half the time.  They said they'd replace the
machine with only the same model, so she sent it back and apparently it was
lost in the mail as they claimed to never have received it.  Unfortunately
she didn't insure it.....

The Zojurushi is a much superior bread machine.  KA had to discontinue it
when the company switched from having it produced in Japan to China.  Those
made in China were inferior, but when Zo went to Korea for production the
machines tested out well.

In any case, I only use my Zo bread machine on the dough cycle, at least
99% of the time.  You will get much better results by finishing the bread
yourself and baking them in your oven.  If you have to leave the house,
remove the finished dough from the machine, shape it into a loaf, and put
the pan in the frig, covered with oiled Saran Wrap.  It will rise in the
frig in about 2 hrs.  Sometimes I leave it overnight.  When ready to bake,
remove it from the frig, let it warm up about 45 min, & bake.

J. Sawyer