Recipe: Bavarian Sugar Cake

ATroi37324@aol.com
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 11:48:31 EST
v103.n009.10
I made this in my new Breadman TR555 and just loved this recipe. This is a
wonderful, wonderful recipe that I will definitely make many more times.
Tastes like cinnamon rolls without all the work. It was so delicious and so
fluffy. Was especially good warm right out of the oven.

The recipe said it wasn't cloyingly sweet, so I added 1/2 cup sugar instead
of 1/3 cup. I did not have whole milk so substitued buttermilk powder and
water because didn't have powdered milk either. Very high riser but had to
let it rise longer than the recipe called for. Recipe called for 4
teaspoons of yeast but I thought that was too much for 3 cups flour so I
only added 3 teaspoons and don't know if that was why it took longer to rise.

A very good and important tip I have found is to butter your work surface
or board instead of flouring it when you pull out your dough from the
machine. This will not let the dough stick at all to the surface and it is
actually better because you are not adding extra flour tending to make your
bread a little drier. I have put my changes in parenthesis.

Bavarian Sugar Cake
The following cinnamony velvety yeast "cake" is drizzled with cream and
sugar before baking. This cake isn't cloyingly sweet, but is very tender.

Dough:
1/2 cup whole milk (I used 1/2 cup water and 2 Tbsp buttermilk powder)
1/2 cup water
1 egg
1 tsp almond extract
1/4 cup unsalted butter (half a stick)
1/3 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup)
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 cups King Arthur Unbleached all purpose flour (I used Gold Medal bread flour)
4 tsp special instant yeast (I used 3 tsp breadmachine yeast)

Glaze:
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup heavy cream

Place all of the dough ingredients into the pan of your bread machine.
Program the machine for Dough or Manual cycle and press Start. Check the
dough after about 10 minutes and adjust the consistency by adding flour or
water as needed; the dough should be fairly sticky and slack. (I added a
couple Tbsp water). When the machine has completed the cycle, remove the
dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured work surface. (I let it rise
an extra 40 minutes after the cycle was complete and then I turned it out
onto a buttered pastry board not floured and let it rest for about 10
minutes before rolling out). Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan. Press the dough into
the prepared pan with your fingers, stretching it to cover the bottom of
the pan. (I rolled it out on buttered pastry board first and then fit it
into the pan.

Cover the pan with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise until it is
doubled in bulk, 30 to 45 minutes. (I let it rise about 1 hour 30 minutes).
With two fingers, punch deep holes all over the dough. (When punching holes
in dough, if holes do not remain, it has not risen enough). In a small
bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle it over the dough. (I put sugar
and cinnamon in one of those little glass jars with big holes on top and
was easier to sprinkle evenly over dough. It seems when you are sprinkling
that it is a lot of sugar but taste comes out perfect). Drizzle the cream
evenly on top. Bake the cake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 to 30
minutes, or until tester inserted in center comes out clean. Remove cake
from oven, and serve it warm from pan. (I pulled it out onto a board upside
down since there is cream on the bottom of the cake and sliced with my
electric knife and then put back in pan to absorb extra cream on bottom of
pan).

Rosemary