re: Help

Roxanne Rieske <rokzane@dimensional.com>
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:08:02 -0700
v103.n009.19
"I make sour dough bread frequently with great success usually using Peter
Reinhart's directions.  Early this month I had a lot of firm starter and so
I put some into well oiled baggies and into the freezer.  I removed one two
days ago.  Let it warm up in the refrig and when it was thawed proceeded to
make the final dough.  Disaster.  No rise.  So I put it away in the
refrigerator and will experiment by taking a bit and refreshing it and see
if I can resuscitate it.

Anybody have any thoughts on what went wrong?

Also what is the advice about purchasing a not too expensive scale that
weighs ounces, grams etc?"

Usually you have to put a thawed starter through 1 or two refreshement
cycles before it'll work. There's not enough yeast alive in the starter to
use it just after thawing.

A couple years ago I purchased The Bakers Dream Scale for about 20 bucks.
It measures in grams and lbs. It also has a zero set back. So you can put
your bowl right on the scale. Hit zero and the scale goes back to zero so
you can weigh everything into the bowl at one time. You can buy them at any
cooks supply store.

Roxanne