Re: Gluten

"Bev" <sinkcar@prodigy.net>
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:06:43 -0600
v103.n009.21
  Gail,

I use gluten all the time in my baking. We get vital wheat gluten in bulk
and use one tablespoon per cup of flour.  I love how it helps the bread be
soft and tender.  Most of our baking is done with mainly whole wheat and
without the gluten the bread is heavy and coarse.

We also use a bread conditioner which consists predominantly of granular
lecithin. It also contains other ingredients but I think the lecithin is
the one that provides the bread with a moist texture and better keeping
qualities.

In a way I am delurking too - I have posted before but not often.  We don't
eat an enormous variety of bread - there are just 2 of us and we are both
retired. Just can't eat as much as we used to eat.  Our favorites are
pumpkin seed bread, plain old whole wheat, and a pumpernickel.  We also
make cinnamon raisin and rye but not often.

Bev C