Recipe: Old Fashioned 100 Percent Whole Wheat Bread

ATroi37324@aol.com
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 11:57:49 EST
v103.n010.3
Also made this recipe a few weeks ago.  It is not a breadmachine recipe but
I used my breadmachine on the Dough cycle and then proceeded with the
recipe after the first rise and baked in the oven. I used melted butter
instead of the vegetable oil and because my mom is diabetic only used 2 tsp
of sugar instead of the 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp of honey. I also added a couple
tablespoons of gluten. It came out very good and is a dense bread. I think
it would have tasted even better with the honey called for in the recipe.

With all the recipes I have been baking lately,  I used salted butter
because that was all I had and I definitely notice a difference in the
bread taste even though I cut down on the salt called for in the recipes. I
think unsalted butter makes a much better bread.

Old-fashioned 100 Percent Whole-Wheat Bread
The flavor of this whole-wheat loaf is sweet and nutty.
 From "The Bread Bible"

Sponge: -
1 1/2 cups warm water (105-115 F)
1/2 cup buttermilk powder
1 Tbsp active dry yeast
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp honey (I only used 2 tsp sugar)
1 1/2 cups fine to medium grind whole-wheat flour, preferably stone ground

Dough: -
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used butter)
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 to 2 3/4 cups fine to medium whole-wheat flour, preferably stone ground
Rolled oats, for sprinkling

To prepare the sponge: In a large bowl, whisk together the water,
buttermilk powder, yeast, honey and the 3 cups whole-wheat flour and beat
until smooth. Scrape down the sides with a spatula. Cover with plastic wrap
and let stand in a warm place until foamy and doubled in bulk, about 1
hour. Gently stir it down with a wooden spoon. In a large bowl using a
whisk or in the bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer fitted with the paddle
attachment, add the oil, salt, 2 cups of the flour and the sponge. Beat
hard until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a
time, using a wooden spoon if making by hand, until a soft dough that just
clears the sided of the bowl is formed. Turn the dough out onto a lightly
floured work surface and knead until smooth and springy, yet slightly
tacky, about 5 minutes, dusting with the flour only 1 tablespoon at a time
as needed to keep the dough from sticking. If kneading by machine, switch
from the paddle to the dough hook and knead for 4 to 5 minutes, or until
the dough is smooth and springy and springs back when pressed. If desired,
transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead briefly by hand. Do not
add too much flour, as the dough must retain a definite sticky quality,
which will smooth out during the rising process. The dough will also have a
slightly abrasive quality from the whole grains. Place the dough in a
greased container. Turn once to coat the top and cover with plastic wrap.
Let rise at room temperature until puffy and almost doubled in bulk, 1 1/2
to 2 hours.

Turn the dough out onto a flour work surface. Grease or parchment-line a
baking sheet and sprinkle it with rolled oats. Divide it into 3 equal
portions. Form each portion into 3 round balls and place them at least 4
inches apart on the baking sheet. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let
rise until not quite doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes. (I let it rise
about an hour). Twenty minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 375 F.
Place the baking sheet in the center of the oven and bake 40-45 minutes or
until deep brown and the loaves sound hollow when tapped with your finger.
Place a piece of aluminum foil over the tops to slow browning, if needed.
Transfer the loaves immediately to a cooling rack. Cool completely before
slicing.