holiday breads

Fri, 28 Feb 2003 21:35:14 -0800
v103.n012.14
We have some holidays coming up ... St. Patrick's Day and Easter, Passover
(for any of you who celebrate).  I am sure that there are other religions
that might have holidays in spring ... what are the holidays??  How about
sharing breads for these particular days??  Who wants to bake, break and
share breads??  I haven't made this but I bet it would look nice served to
family or given as a gift.

                       *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                               Easter Bread #2

Recipe By     : Boston Globe, April 12, 1995.
Serving Size  : 16   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Breads                           Holidays
                  Bread-Bakers Mailing List        Hand Made
                  Low Fat

     2      Packages      Dry Yeast
       1/2  Cup           Lukewarm Water
       1/2  Cup           Milk
       1/3  Cup           Butter Or Margarine
     4      Cups          Flour
       1/3  Cup           Sugar
     1      Teaspoon      Salt
     3                    Eggs
     1      Tablespoon    Vanilla
                          Cornmeal
                          Decorative Candles

Preheat the oven to 350F.

In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in lukewarm water.

Scald milk and butter together; let cool.

In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt and sugar together.  Make a well and
add 2 eggs, the yeast mixture, the vanilla and the cooled milk
mixture.  Mix thoroughly, then knead to a smooth dough.

Cover and let rise about 2 hours.  Knead again.  Shape into 2 oval loaves.
Place on bake sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal.  Cover and let
rise 1 hour.

Score loaves with sharp knife.  Beat remaining egg and use to glaze loaves.
Sprinkle with decorative candies if desired.  Bake in the preheated oven
for 30- 40 minutes.