Baker's Percentages

"Peter and Susan Reinhart" <S.REINHART@prodigy.net>
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 07:37:27 -0800
v103.n015.3
Dear All,

    Sorry to have created confusion in the baker's percentage situation. I
used decimal figures rather than fractions because the reason for the
formula percentages is in case anyone plans to make larger or smaller sized
batches. I find that multiplying and dividing is easier with decimal
numbers than with fractions. Yes, you do have to then convert those numbers
to fractions if your scale is in fractions, and that often means rounding
to the nearest quarter ounce. Because I know math is difficult for many, I
gave the ingredients in volume measurements also (cups, teaspoons, etc.)
for the specific recipe listed so you wouldn't have to use the math system
to figure out the weights for the really small stuff like salt and yeast.
One motive for the formula percentages and weights, as listed, was for
professional bakers who want to convert the recipes into very large batches
for production. If they need 165 pounds of dough, for instance, the formula
makes it easier to calculate the individual weights, and then a small
figure, say .065 ounce of instant yeast, becomes large enough to weigh
rather than scoop with a teaspoon.

On another point brought up by some, it is true that many brands of flour
and various grinds of salt weigh out differently from each other. With
flour it usually is because of moisture variations, which can be a result
of the age of the flour. I used 3 1/2 cups of flour to the pound but that
is just a ballpark weight. Some brands can take up to 4 cups of flour and
others may only take 3 (but with most brands 3 1/2 cups is very close).
That is why I qualified the instructions with the caveat to make
adjustments as needed. It's not perfect but, short of dictating what brand
you should use, it's as close as I could get.

    Hope this helps.
    Best Regards,
    Peter