active dry yeast

FREDERICKA COHEN <cohenfs@prodigy.net>
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:33:08 -0800 (PST)
v103.n015.17
I have been baking challah with either instant dry yeast or fresh yeast
which I buy from the baker. The fresh yeast has been giving me a great product.

I had the chance to buy a food service pack of Red Star active dry. I used
it as specified in a recipe and result looked like an I Love Lucy episode.

I use a 5 quart bucket for rising. Seven cups of flour and two tablespoons
of Red Star went from the two quart line to OVER THE TOP in 15-20 minutes!

Cutting back to one tbs. slowed it so that it doubled in 25 minutes!

Is any one else having this problem with this or any other yeast?

Many thanks again, Fredericka