quarry tile bread

Lobo <lobo119@attbi.com>
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 12:41:01 -0700
v103.n017.12
This recipe probably came from this list when I was investigating baking on
quarry tiles.  It's excellent, especially the sourdough version.

QUARRY TILE BREAD
Bake on unglazed tile or a pizza stone on the bottom rack of oven.

Makes 1 loaf yeast bread

2.5 c. flour
1 tsp. Salt
1 T. yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 c warm water
1 T. olive oil

Mix flour and salt.  Put yeast in water with sugar.  Stir well.  Let sit 10
minutes.  Stir again and mix into flour, along with oil.  Knead bread.  Let
rise for 1 hour.  Punch out bubbles and form loaf, let rise for 1/2
hour.  Preheat oven to 350F.  Bake 30-40 minutes.

I lined small Corning dish with dishtowel and let bread rise in it.  I took
it out by lifting it out by the towel, transferred it to one hand and
quickly put it on the stone right side up.

Makes 1 loaf sourdough
2 cups expanded sourdough (starter removed from refrigerator the night
before, water and flour added, set overnight and bubbly in the a.m.)
1 1/3 c. flour
1 t. salt
1 T. buttermilk pd (opt)
1 t. sugar
1/5 c. water
1 T. olive oil

Makes 2 loaves sourdough
4 c. expanded sourdough (starter removed from refrigerator the night
before, water and flour added, set overnight and bubbly in the a.m.)
3 1/2 c. flour
2 t. salt
1 T. buttermilk pd (opt)
2 t. sugar