Multi everything bread

"Joanie Martin" <jmartin@firstdartmouth.com>
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 12:32:18 -0400
v103.n021.5
Yesterday, I took out some leftover starter and decided to make "healthy"
bread.  Just flying blind, I added

1 cup rye flour
1 one cup whole wheat flour
2 cups of bread flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 1/4 cup hot water with 1 1/2 Tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon yeast

and mixed it all together.  Then started hand kneading it.  Decided to add
some sunflower seeds, and a little kosher salt.   The first rise went well,
but the second rise didn't get as high as I had hoped.  After reading
today's messages, I'm wondering if I had put it into a cold oven, would I
have gotten a better second rise while it was coming up to the 475 F
temperature at which I wanted to bake it.

My questions are as follows:  Is there a formula as to how much bread flour
one needs, or could I use all whole wheat, rye and maybe barley or other
flours?

I added enough moisture only to get a dough I could knead by hand, but is
there a formula for how much water to dry products one needs. What about
temperature?  Should I have done it at 350, or 500 or was 475 F okay?

Actually, I had a piece toasted for breakfast this morning and it was quite
good.  A meal unto itself,  and before toasting the bread had a hard crust
and soft interior.  I like to experiment, but are there some guidelines I
should follow?