Elasticity Thanks

"mike fuller" <mikadri@infomed.sld.cu>
Mon, 26 May 2003 15:51:01 -0400
v103.n026.4
Well, so many of you have responded to my question about 'elastic vs.
crumbly bread' that I feel I must send out a collective thank you note.

Your responses can be edited into the following:
1. more water
2. use bread flour
3. knead enough
4. double raise the dough

I am currently trying all these as I make new bread.

I should be baking again late this week (I don't bake every day, I freeze
immediately after cooling and bake again when it runs out).

I used the first response (more water) last week when it was sent, and for
sure, the moisture went up, and I suppose one could make an argument for it
being more 'elastic'.

Regarding the "bread flour," that's not available here under that name,
just "white flour".  I always add different amounts of oatmeal, wheat bran,
textured vegetable protein anyway...

I'm anxious to up my kneading time, as for me that is the best part (I
don't have a bread machine, just my hands). I think I'll go from ten to
fifteen minutes -- will that produce more gluten?

This moment provides me with a wonderful opportunity to meditate as I look
out the kitchen window...

Thank you all so much and happy baking!

Mike in Havana