Re: scales - for Raymond Kenyon

"Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:26:16 -0600
v103.n041.3
Nifcon@aol.com wrote:
>Electronic digital scales have many useful features but I would still
>recommend that you at least consider an old fashioned beam balance, the
>type that uses weights.
>
>They are not hi-tec and they don't have a tare capability but they are
>accurate, robust and there is basically, nothing to go wrong.

They most certainly DO have a tare function.  You start with your scales in
balance.  If you use a different container to measure, you still balance
the scales.  They are in tare.

Then you measure a pound of flour.  You put a 1 pound weight on one side of
the balance, and add flour until the scales are again balanced. You have
achieved tare.

Now you want to measure a pound of butter.  You put another pound weight on
one side of the balance.  Now you add a pound of butter to the measuring
container.  You have again achieved tare.

You now want to measure a pound of sugar.  You put another one pound weight
on the balance pan and add sugar until you have balance.  And you have
again achieved tare.

No problem.... tare has been around a long, long time.
Mike
--
Mike Avery
MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com