Re "Pain L 'Americain"

"Rich Halbert" <rvh@inteliport.com>
Sun, 2 Nov 2003 07:31:26 -0500
v103.n048.5
Erika Newman wrote:
>Erika816@webtv.net (Erika Newman)
>Subject:Pain L 'Americain
>Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 10:49:22 -0500 (EST)
>
>Reading the list I have read so many wonderful things about this simple
>bread. A friend makes it and promised me the recipe months ago and in the
>recent past unfortunately he never came through.  Can anyone be so kind as
>to send it to me? I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance....Erika Newman

Actually Erika I believe you really want the recipe for "Pain a l'Ancienne"
which is a wonderfully simple bread and is often discussed in this forum.
Unfortunately that recipe was perfected by and belongs to Peter Reinhart.
There are two simple solutions to getting the recipe.  One is to buy his
"Bread Baker's Apprentice" book. Another is to hunt for a newspaper article
in which the bread was part of a food feature.  I know of one such article
published in Norfolk, Virginia's "Virginian Pilot" newspaper in Jan 2003.
There may be others so search it out.  Let me assure you it will be worth
your time.

Rich in NC.