Re: Rosemary bread request (v103.n049.19)

DRogers248@aol.com
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:05:43 EST
v103.n050.7
Richard Boosey writes:

>Does anyone have a recipe using fresh rosemary (the plant is beside the
>kitchen door) and perhaps dried tomatoes that would make a hardy breadstick?

Richard, I search google for Rosemary bread and got many hits. This is a
good way to find recipes.  The ones below were found this way. Hope it's a
start for you.

deb*

Fresh Rosemary Bread

This a wonderful herbed, cheese bread to serve with soup. Prep Time:
approx. 5 Minutes. Cook Time: approx. 3 Hours. Ready in: approx. 3 Hours 5
Minutes. Makes 1 - 1.5 pound loaf (12 servings). Printed from Allrecipes,
Submitted by Holly

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups bread flour
3/4 cup oat bran
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 cup shredded mozzerella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
1 1/8 cups warm water (110 F/45 C)

Directions
Place ingredients into the pan of the bread machine in the order suggested
by the manufacturer. Select Oat/French or White Bread cycle and the Light
setting for the crust. Start.

<deb's note: There were no directions except for a bread machine. I imagine
you could follow the directions on the one below for rising/baking
times/oven temp>

Rosemary Bread

This recipe comes to us courtesy of Brenda Hyde, editor of
<http://www.seedsofknowledge.com/>, a fabulous website dedicated to making
life more memorable (a cause near and dear to my heart).

1 package (2 teaspoons) dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
olive oil
1 beaten egg (*NOTE)

Makes 1 Loaf

In a large bowl, add the yeast to the warm water, add sugar. Let stand
until foamy. This should take 5-10 minutes. Add the rosemary, salt, whole
wheat flour, and a cup of the regular flour. Stir with a wooden spoon until
it's mixed and forms a loose, sticky ball. Add the remaining flour, then
turn it out on to a floured surface and knead about 8 minutes.

Place in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise for an hour
or until it's doubled in volume. Punch down and knead it briefly to remove air.

Shape into a slightly flattened ball. Place it on a lightly oiled baking
sheet. Brush the loaf with oil. Let rise for 45 minutes or so, until it's
about doubled.

Brush it with the beaten egg. Bake at 375 F. until the top is browned,
about 45 minutes, or until it sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on a rack.

*NOTE: <http://www.fabulousfoods.com/school/csingred/eggs.html> is about
beating eggs