Re: Why wheat gluten?

"Matt" <mel63@localnet.com>
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:39:46 -0500
v103.n050.15
>I wonder if anyone can tell me what wheat gluten contributes to a bread
>dough.  I visited Kenyon's Grist Mill and bought some different flours and
>wheat gluten.  How do I use it?
>
>Thanks,
>Rose

Hello Rose,

The type of baking that we do at the bakery we have no need to use wheat
gluten. However a while ago we were contracted to make a whole wheat bread
for a restaurant chain and as it was a "no time dough" and 100 % whole
wheat, to make the bread rise correctly the wheat gluten was added I
believe to artificially create what a longer fermentation period does
during that period. Namely to help the protein in the flour become more
pliable yet remain strong. Also, since WW flour has bran in it that cuts
the gluten strands, adding wheat gluten will help to strengthen the dough
to allow the dough to rise to an acceptable volume.

I have forgotten the recipe, but if you use it in a recipe that uses a
regular or long fermentation period add a little to your mix, I would look
up a recipe online to use at a starting point.

I have found that if you match the right flour to the recipe and method
that you won't need wheat gluten. But I am a purist at heart.

Best Regards,
Matt