Re: Kitchen Aid vs. Bosch Mixers

"J. Mathew" <joanm2001@earthlink.net>
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 06:34:09 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
v104.n001.27
Re the ingredients left in the base of the KA mixing bowl, this does happen
occasionally with certain very "dry" recipes or mixtures but I have not
generally had this problem when kneading breads or making cakes -- there
should be enough liquid in the recipe to pick up the ingredients during the
mixing period.

Are you certain that the height of the mixing bowl is adjusted properly so
that the orbital mixing attachments are reaching the bottom level in the
bowl?  If memory serves, the manual for my mixer described the adjustment
method as follows:  place a penny in the bottom of the bowl and use the
large adjustment screw on the riser of the mixer to adjust the bowl until
the orbital attachment scoots the penny around the bottom ridge of the
bowl.  If it is not touching the penny then it is not adjusted low enough.

One other thought I had about the dry ingredients remaining at the bottom
of the bowl is that perhaps it may be beneficial to add a slightly larger
amount of liquid ingredient to the dough -- in some instances I've noticed
that very "hearty" bread recipes with added "goodies" sometimes tend to be
a little on the dry side.  I've had excellent results from adding a higher
amount of liquid and letting these doughs rise a bit longer (or give them
an additional rise).

Speaking of making bread and mixers, I just have to throw in my personal
"plug" for the Magic Mill Assistent (that's not a typo, it really is
spelled with an "e") made by Electrolux -- this thing makes bread like I
never would have believed, and its design is so simple (yet powerful) that
it is a snap to clean up.  It has truly become my new favorite for kneading
bread doughs.  I haven't tried it yet for large cake recipes -- I'll do
that next time I'm "volunteered" for making baked-from-scratch cakes for a
crowd of 30...hehe.  The sheer volume of bread dough that it will hold
easily exceeds my 5-quart KA Pro line mixer.  I can't believe I waited 4
years to buy this device, but I'm so thrilled that I finally have it.

Later this week I'm planning on making a big bunch of New Year's bread,
complete with a "surprise" inside:  one of the gold dollar coins that are
so hard to find now (polished and wrapped in aluminum foil before being
inserted into the bread for baking).  These loaves will be given to several
friends and neighbors who didn't receive Christmas gifts from me because I
was so pressed for time (lest they think I've forgotten them).

Hope this helps,
Joan