Recipe: Kringle

ATroi37324@aol.com
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 13:05:55 EST
v104.n003.9
I also watched Mrs. Oppenneer make made the following recipe for Kringle so
I also made this recipe using the Dough cycle of my breadmachine.  It was
delicious. This is suppose to be a flaky dough which you put together and
mix just until your butter is in small chunks and then you let rise
overnight. I didn't read over the recipe before I started making it. I let
the machine knead it too long before I realized I wasn't going to let it
rise in the machine, so it worked the dough longer than it should have and
wasn't quite as flaky but was delicious anyways. I will be trying to make
it again this week and will let the machine only knead until the butter is
in small chunks and then will let it rise overnight. Again, this is not a
bread machine recipe but I used the Dough cycle of my Breadman to make this.

Kringle
Recipe courtesy Betsy Oppenneer - Show: Sara's Secrets

For the Dough:
1 scant tablespoon or 1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (about 110 F)
3/4 cup heavy cream
3 large egg yolks
1 large egg white
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (I used bread flour)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, very cold

Apple Pecan Filling
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 cups finely chopped, peeled and cored Granny Smith apples (I'm partial to
Granny Smith apples because I like their tart flavor and they keep their
shape during baking)
1 cup finely chopped pecans
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

For the Topping:
1 large egg white
Sliced almonds
2 tablespoons granulated sugar

Bread machine: Add all of the dough ingredients to your bread machine.
Process on Dough cycle just long enough the your butter is in small chunks.
Do not mix too much because you do not want to soften the cold butter. You
should see small flour-coated pieces of butter throughout the dough.

Overnight rise: Put the dough in an oiled bowl and turn to coat the entire
ball of dough with oil. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap and a tightly
woven towel and refrigerate 12 hours or overnight.

Shape: Turn the dough out onto a lightly oiled work surface and divide in
half. Roll each half into a 24-inch square. Fold the dough in half from top
to bottom, then fold the dough in half from side to side to make a 12-inch
square. Cover with a towel and let rest 10 minutes.

Working with 1 square of dough at a time, roll the dough into a 12 by
24-inch rectangle. Spread half of filling evenly over two-thirds of the
dough, filling an area of 8 by 24 inches. Fold the portion of dough that
has no filling onto the center third of filled dough, then fold the other
third of dough to the center, forming a 4 by 24-inch rectangle.

Place the dough seam side down on a parchment-lined or well-greased baking
sheet. Bring the ends of the dough almost together (about 4 inches apart)
to form a horseshoe. Repeat with the second piece of dough. If you cannot
get both Kringles on a baking sheet, cover the second one and put it in the
refrigerator until the first Kringle finishes baking; then bake.

Second Rise: Cover the with a tightly woven towel and let rise for 1 hour
or until doubled in bulk. (I had to let mine rise about 1 1/2 hours).

Preheat Oven: About 10 minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 375 F.

Final Preparation: For the topping, beat the egg white with a whisk or fork
until frothy and brush over the loaves. Sprinkle with sliced almonds and
then granulated sugar.

Bake and Cool: Bake for 25 minutes until the internal temperature of the
bread reached 190 F. Immediately remove the bread from the baking sheet and
place on a rack to cool.

Apple Pecan Filling: In a medium bowl, stir the sugar, apples, pecans,
butter, and cinnamon together until well mixed. Use to fill 2 loaves.

HANDMADE INSTRUCTIONS:

For the Dough: In a large measuring cup or medium bowl, sprinkle the yeast
in the water to soften. Heat the cream to 100 F and add it to the yeast
along with the egg yolks and egg white. Whisk to combine.

In a large bowl, combine the sugar, salt, cardamom, and flour. Using a
pastry blender or 2 knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it
is the size of tiny peas. This process also can be done easily in a food
processor. Add the yeast mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until
combined. Do not mix too much because you do not want to soften the cold
[...]

Rosemary