Limp crust in highly hydrated (85%+) bread

"Philip Seitz" <pseitz@cliveden.org>
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:48:45 -0500
v104.n005.12
This is my first posting to this forum.  I've been working on recipes for
several breads with 85%+ water (expressed in baker's percentage), and they
all present a brown, crisp crust on removal from the oven. However, as the
bread cools the crust becomes soft and limp.  I assume this is the result
moisture migrating outward from the crumb, but standard tricks--such as
leaving the bread in the oven with the door open--haven't helped.

Here is some background information, should it prove relevant.  A typical
bread would be made from King Arthur Sir Galahad flour (11% protein), and
baked with steam at 500 F for five minutes, followed by 20-some minutes at
450 degrees.  Following this the bread would go for another ten minutes at
a much lower heat, or simply with the oven door open while it cools.

I love the texture and openness of crumb in these breads, and would love to
match it with a crisp crust.  Any suggestions would be happily received!

Phillip R. Seitz
pseitz@cliveden.org