Polish sour rye

"silky" <silky@psln.com>
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 21:13:29 -0800
v104.n007.15
Hi,

I'm new here and I am thoroughly enjoying the conversation!  I wish it
happened more than once a week.

After several years break from bread baking (health and family) I am back
at it and trying not to go off in every direction that beckons at once.  My
main focus at this time is learning to make the real 100% rye sourdough
bread as the Eastern Europeans make.  I have not been able to find a recipe
that isn't Americanized with a lot of white flour.  I'm not familiar with
rye so I have no idea what proportions work.  Can anyone help with a recipe
or pointers?

I have been told that I won't be able to make this type of bread because so
many of the variables are different here.  I would like to understand the
theory so I can choose ingredients that will come as close as possible.  I
was also told that a wood-fired oven is critical.  If this is true,
how?  Is it really the brick lining?  I grew up with a wood stove and
unless you have a good supply of the right wood, a wood stove will not give
as even a heat as a newer oven.

Wheat flour can have different protein levels, does rye flour vary the same
way?  There doesn't seem to be much rye flour available so I hope it
doesn't matter too much.

I have also seen some rye recipes calling for "whole bran cereal", any idea
what that is referring to?  One called for "baker's bran".

Colleen in NE Calif.