Re: KitchenAid vs bread machine kneading

"Leigh Davisson" <leigh@leighd.net>
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 08:45:59 -0800
v104.n009.4
I use the two virtually interchangeably except that the KitchenAid mixer
can handle a larger batch size than a bread machine can.  I tend to use my
bread machine to knead more often because both appliances are in cupboards
and the bread machine is a lot easier to lift onto the counter.

The every day staple breads in my house are Reinhart's White Sandwich Bread
(ordinary name for an extraordinary loaf) and Struan breads.  I do a single
loaf of the White Sandwich Bread in the bread machine, and I always do my
biga (pre-ferments) in the bread machine.  I generally make a double batch
of the struan, and the KitchenAid can handle mixing the double batch.  I
can tell from the sounds it makes that I'm pushing it a bit, and I keep it
at a low speed.  I once tried a double batch of the White Sandwich Bread in
my KitchenAid, and it's the only time it's ever had to go into the shop for
repair...  Won't be doing that again any time soon.

I also don't mess with the dough paddle but go right to the dough hook.

Leigh