Book Review: Celebration Breads

Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:47:46 -0800
v104.n011.4
Celebration Breads: Recipes, Tales and Traditions
by Betsy Oppenneer
copyright 2003 by Betsy Oppenneer
ISBN 0-7432-2483-3

Betsy's new book, _Celebration Breads: Recipes, Tales and Traditions_, is a
compendium of very interesting and fun breads from around the world.  Her
research is quiet evident and the results are very enlightening to the
bread enthusiast.

Betsy starts off with chapters on ingredients and equipment.  Both chapters
have lots of information but stop short of being boring or
overwhelming.  The third chapter is entitled "How to Make Bread".  It
begins with  a very well written description of the four basic rules of
bread baking followed by sections on making bread by hand, by heavy-duty
mixer, by food processor and by bread machine.  Chapter four is about tips
and techniques.

The remaining chapters are divided by regions and here Betsy's research
really shines.  She covers Africa, the Americas, the British Isles, Eastern
Europe, the Eastern Mediterranean, the Middle East, Russia and Asia,
Scandinavia and finally Western Europe.  In addition to the well known
breads such as England's Good Friday Breads (Hot Cross Buns and Chelsea
Buns) and Sweden's Christmas Bread (Saint Lucia's Crown) are many recipes
for breads most of us have not encountered before.  Most recipes include
instructions for using each of the machines in addition to the by-hand
method.  Betsy shows her teaching abilities through her clear communication
of the techniques for each of the breads.  There are many drawings and tips
spread throughout the book.  There are appendices with instructions on how
to candy fruit and with measurement and temperature conversions.

Of all the breads I made from this book, I found myself most often making
the German Speckbrot.  I made it for Christmas presents and have had many
requests for more from the recipients.  It is very good.

Betsy's _Celebration Breads_ is for everyone - beginner to experienced
baker.  This is definitely a book to add to your cookbook library; one that
you will use over and over again throughout the years.