Bread holes

Wcsjohn@aol.com
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 07:05:29 EST
v104.n013.3
Mike in Havana asked:
>What's the best way to get big air holes in bread?

Mike

The only reliable way I know to obtain big air holes in bread is high
hydration and intensive gluten development.

My standard Ciabatta method, for example involves hydration of 80%+ (800
grams water and 50 grams oil to 1 kilo of flour), an overnight poolish to
raise acidity and help form strong gluten, a high speed mix and 4 stretch
and fold cycles. The resultant dough is very soft but also very elastic.

I'd be happy to expand on this cursory answer if your interest has been piqued.

John