Re: gluten free rye bread

"Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Sat, 03 Apr 2004 17:39:48 -0700
v104.n018.6
On 30 Mar 2004 at 6:58, Alan Woods wrote:

>First a query:  while in South Africa earlier this month, I was given a
>loaf of gluten free rye bread, baked for, and distributed, by Woolworth's
>a general store whose connection to the late American dimestore chain is
>unclear to me).  It was fabulous--dark, filled with pecans, rich, and
>fulfilling.  I'm experimenting trying to come up with a reasonable
>facsimile, but thus far the results--while delicious and satisfying--bear
>little resemblance to the South African loaf. Any suggestions?

Well, let's start by dispelling the notion that the loaf was gluten free.
Rye has gluten.  Not a lot, and not very good quality, but it is gluten.

If you are avoiding gluten for medical reasons, such as Celiac or sprue
(and I hope you have a health care professional's diagnosis in this case),
rye should be off your list of acceptable foods.  Check out the different
web pages from the celiac and sprue support organizations.

If you don't have a medical condition that requires you eliminate gluten
from your diet, you might consider that rye loaves generally fall into two
broad categories, ones with wheat flour added, or ones that have been
acidified by the use of sourdough to allow the pentosans in the rye flour
to hold the loaf together.  Some more modern bakers might try using guar
gum and other similar gums to hold the loaf together.

Good luck,
Mike
--
Mike Avery