A question about wheat

"Mark Montgomery" <mrmont@bellsouth.net>
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:34:10 -0400
v104.n019.6
I came home from work today to find that a friend had left a five gallon
bucket of stone ground whole wheat.  Wow, what a friend!  My question is,
short of sending it to a lab, how can I determine if it is hard or soft
wheat.  She received the original unground grain from a friend of hers and
does not know any of the details about its growth.  I am in the process of
baking a tested recipe with it and it appears to be doing fine.  But I
would like to be a bit more certain about protein content.  Does anyone
know of a simple at home test to determine protein content?  Any help would
be appreciated.