overnight Milk recipes

Gonzo White <g2w2@prodigy.net.mx>
Fri, 14 May 2004 11:16:25 -0500
v104.n023.1
Reguarding the post about letting milk sit overnight:

I have been making a recipe for quick sour pumpernickel bread for over 10
years.  I am still alive and well.  The purpose of letting the milk sit
over night is so that it sours! In my recipe that replaces using a sour
dough. Some of us are just to lazy to keep a pumpernickel sour dough alive
and well to make a loaf of bread once a month. (pumpernickel I make more
then one loaf a month <grin>) So by letting it sit overnight you get that
sour flavor.

The message from Germany suggests putting it in the fridge overnight, that
will keep it from spoiling but that is what I am trying to do!!!  We want
it to sour!!

Quick Sour Pumpernickel (bread machine recipe)

This is one of my favorite recipes.  You can either make rolls or just
leave the dough in the ABM to make a loaf of bread.  It must be started the
night before.  But that is not much of a problem as long as you plan on it.

Starter:
1 1/2 cups Milk
2 cups Rye Flour
2 Tbs Gluten
2 tsp yeast

Add the above ingredients to the ABM and let knead for about 10 minutes.
Reset the machine (turn it off) and leave the pan in the machine overnight
or 6-8 hours.

2 Tbs Vegetable oil
1/2 cup Molasses
2 Tbs Unsweetnd Cocoa
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Caraway or Fennel seed
1 cup Whole wheat flour
1 Tbs Gluten (Optional)
2 Tbl Pumpernickel flavor
1 1/3 cup Bread Flour
3/4 cup Raisins (optional)

Add remaining ingredients and start machine as usual.  If making the loaf
in the Machine use the specialty bread setting and add the raisins at the
beep. (If you add them to early they get ground up)  You can usually find
the gluten, rye flour and whole wheat flour in a health food store or you
can buy it mail order from King Arthur Flour 800-827-6836

If you are going to make rolls use the dough setting.. The raisins are very
good in the rolls.  Using the dough setting on my Hitachi I add them at the
1:18 mark.  When the dough is ready roll out into a flat square.  Form into
balls the size of a large Lemon. Press down and cover (I put 12 into a 13x9
pan and the rest in a cake pan.  Let rise until doubled (1 hour) then cook
20 minutes at 350 F.

Makes about 15 rolls.